Portal 2 ‘summer mapping initiative’ winners announced
The Portal 2 mapping community Thinking With Portals have concluded their ‘summer mapping initiative’ contest and announced the winners.
That’s good news for owners of the PC version of Portal 2 as all of the winners are downloadable, which means a little more freebie Portal action. These maps should be of a decent quality too, because 13 judges claim to have spent over 140 hours whittling down 280 maps to just a handful of winners.
The top two are called Patent Pending and Infinifling, lovingly crafted by ‘ebola’ and ‘MrTwoVideoCards’ respectively. You can download those, and a few more from the Thinking With Portals source link below.
Here’s a handy guide to installing them:
1) Download the map file from ThinkingWithPortals.com.
2) Open up the .ZIP file after it has downloaded.
3) Find the location of your Portal 2 installation on Steam. This is most typically found under:
Windows PC users: C:Program FilesValveSteamsteamappscommonportal 2maps.
Mac users: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Portal 2/portal2/maps
Note that your installation location may vary, depending on your initial install directory.
4) Copy the .BSP file located in the downloaded file to the directory above.
5) Start Portal 2
6) In the game’s main menu, select “Options->Keyboard and Mouse”
7) Set Allow Developer Console to Enabled
8) Press the tilde (~) key to access the console
9) Type map “mapname here”
10) Solve the puzzle!
Do you really want to bother going through all that just for a bit more Portal 2? You bet!